AccessDubuque.com

The Key to Success
Last updated on May 13, 2011 at 06:02 PM
20110513firstfish2web.jpg

In my flood-delayed quest to land my first fish of the season, I stopped by the (15-foot and falling) river on my way to work this morning. Normally, my fishing breaks consist of casting some snag-resistant Mister Twisters. Today, however, I also brought along a crankbait to fish an area that is less prone to hang-ups.

Within a few casts, I felt a slight but familiar tug on the line. Seconds later, I was on the board with a small largemouth bass.

Amidst my celebration, the closing line of "Finding Nemo" — when the fish make it back to the ocean but realize they're still trapped in baggies — suddenly went through my mind. "Now what?"

I looked at my catch, with two hooks embedded in its jaw, and realized I didn't have pliers. I had never thought to carry one with my tray of twister tails and lead heads, which are easy to remove.

Hmmm. A quick attempt to extract them with my fingers was aborted. I thought about looking for a tool in my car, but I was parked a couple blocks away. I figured I had to improvise. I reached into my pocket and grabbed my keys. I used the tip of one to push each hook backwards and was able to dislodge the treble almost immediately.

Whew! I tossed the bass back into the river and it swam off.

Now, when I get home, my fishy-smelling keys will remind me to put a pair of pliers with my fishing gear.

Share your angling tales, tips and information. E-mail Mike at mday@wcinet.com.

mday@wcinet.com
Recent blogs:
Recent comments:
Search the 1359 Blogs
Search for blogs in Category:   
Search for blogs in Sub-Category:   
Search for:  

Comments

Note: These Comments are submitted by TH Forum members and guests. All guest submissions are reviewed prior to publication. Content posted by TH Forum members are not necessarily reviewed until a "Suggest Removal" has been submitted.

Create a blog!
(You must be logged in to create a blog)
Most Recent Blogs
Most Popular Blogs